Friday, February 1, 2019

An Odyssey of Creativity and Wisdom: Day 19


one thousand words daily
Driving across the Bay Bridge to a meeting in the Jag.  Direction & Drive!


Day 19: new year cheer – direction and drive

self defined...
         I would like to call myself many things, many great titles to attribute who I am and where I have been.  Words such as Counselor, Writer, Poet, Artist, Father, Community Builder, Influencer, Healer, Photographer, Philosopher, Naturalist and Survivor are merely some of what pop up when it comes to hashtags I use.  I am as I am, a writer and storyteller by nature as well as a healer. I have called myself a Conduit, Visionary, a Reminder and let my new books, once published, tell more as of what type of dynamic dude I really am.  For now you will have to read these blogs I write and posts to get a sense of who, Sekou really is.  I empower others to be better; do better as well as live healthier in many aspects of their own lives.
            I am no established “Life Coach,” “Health Coach,” or any of those new titles, as many who know me and have worked with me know that I am a whole lot more than one or two titles can define.  Being a reminder of past things, accomplishments, historical stuff I call myself a historian yet I want to do more.  Sometimes I am reminded myself that I have all of the attributes of a leader, yet know that a good leader must be a good listener as well as be very organized. It doesn’t help much that my name means “Wise Leader,” as this is what I have been reminded all of my life by my parents.   My goals now are complicated yet simple to some degree, as I simply want to succeed and plant the right seeds in the right places.
          I want the harvests from all of my hard work to benefit my children, and for creatives, finding viable outlets to express as well as to make a living can become a task if the right avenues and resources are not set up.  Of course we should work hard and diligent towards anything which we truly desire, especially if it makes the quality of life better for us as well as those we care for and love.  In this blog I’ll chat a bit about personal successes, stresses as well as endless possibilities which we can visualize as well as together… dream.

a beginning and an ending
          Last year let me tell ya, was a hell of a year for me in more ways than one.  I was rocked with mounds of hard to face news from family as well as some life changes which affected the way in which I was able to care for myself and those I care for.  I was forced to resign from a job which I built, that no longer valued my input and knowledge (in other words, these guys just didn’t have the knowledge, insight or instinct of how or what to do with me), my son and his mother moved to Las Vegas, which makes it a little more difficult for me to see him.  My Jag blew one hose and fuse too many so it’s now parked in front of a friend’s house. My van (#rastavanancy), which I live and sleep in with my fiancé, is experiencing its own issues so I literally must do what I can to keep that on the road and safe for travel.  About a month after the job ended, we found out that although my fiancé had a permanent procedure for birth control done four years ago, that we were soon to be expecting a miracle baby. 

          I can talk about so many other things yet what is important is that I now, on top of being disabled and homeless in a van, have a zillion reasons that fire up my determination and cause a brotha to wake up at odd times, writing or thinking.  My disability was denied yet for a fourth time yet I have a meeting tomorrow with a representative from Social Security and I will try my best not to rip them a new asshole!  I have found myself telling people a lie recently.  The lie is that I… “Just do not like people that much.”  The honest truth is that I do not necessarily have an issue with people per se as much as I have with the expectations that I place on others.

being content is the least of it...

          I like people, I mean I honestly really do!  Just because some do not share the exact same values as I do does not mean that I need to get angry at them or result to blaming.  Exercising my faith in my Creator solidifies my bond with my fellow man regardless of what they do to me or others.  Through simple reasoning and understanding, we can indeed, know our place in all of this wonderfully beautiful experience we all called life.   So what if my knee swells up to the size of a grapefruit, ankle the size of an orange or if I run out of gas money,  I have lots to be thankful for, so much that I have accomplished and so much more that I have yet to complete.

          In early Winter I completed a book that began as a short story I titled Robin and the Red Tailed Hawk.  My son learned to swim as well as windsurf with my father.  My new son in utero is healthy and is kicking a lot.  I heard from a couple of publishers and that fired me up to hit the grindstone as that was some of the fuel which has recently helped me organize what I need to submit.  One of the things which keep us motivated to do more or be more is our drive, our personal commitment to excellence and the life we desire.
direction and lots of it, plan a,b,c,d and :e,f, and g too,     if you need to
          Having a clear direction helps us know where we are headed as well as gives us an idea of what to expect.  No matter what the outcome, when concerned with performance and the diligence and persistence had, is that we ourselves openly acknowledge who and where we are, and that we find some type of promise or “faith,” which keeps us grounded on our paths no matter what might come up!  Aside from having Direction and Drive, we must remember to be positive and be the “Hell Yeah,” that we hope to see in others and can visualize the “Fuck YES!” that we hope to get once our tasks are accomplished.  We can, at times find ourselves being our worst enemy and our worst critic so remember to give yourself a break and be more of your best friend instead. 
strive, build, stay true to you and survive
          We are not perfect yet every day we can always strive for the better, in what we want to see, in what we want in our lives as well as who we want to become or be to others.  We must find faith in something other than another person, an object, a mechanical or technical device as well as find faith within one’s self.  If trust is what we hope to find in others than we must first establish a strong moral base, so that no matter what happens, that we ourselves remain as solid as the titanium in these legs!  I know that I have been busy with my book writing as well as my health stuff so please forgive me for not posting more and enjoy this fresh poem I am leaving you all with.  My advice for you this New Year is foremost, stay true to you, for you must wake up every day in your own skin and walk the path to a future which only your feet can carry you towards.

In ancient days a wick and a candle held the light needed to guide at night
Mariners looked to the stars, using well the compass and astrolabe
Having to find the means to make a living along with the will to survive
Paths look different to each of us in our own journeys
Some cobblestone to dirt, concrete, smooth basketball court to perfect waves to surf
Finding energy to press on does not come freely for many we must fight
For freedoms, dreams which have been shared and seen or
Purposes grounded in parenthood, promises and others, finances and production
WE hope for lives filled with joy, void of confusion and corruption
When tornadoes of prosperity and greed blow past too close
Taking the very breath we need through its powerful suction
Others have people which feed off of them like the leeches families find attached to skin
Once they have crossed troubled waters for a better life
So that neither one, nor more children with brilliant dreams truly gets left behind
Becoming the reflections of promise their ancestors as well as ours have hoped for
Clearing the air of all chemicals, man-made smog and wildfire smoke
Then it will not matter whether the grass is green or the waters warm
As skies are painted the brightest of blues and
We will eat from what our carefully planted seeds have sprouted into although…
How we decide to make a trip to the destination which waits solely for, is up to us
Walking in harmony along the grounds of the legacies we have built with care and love

Sight 
1-6-2019


No comments:

Post a Comment